The Movie: 7.6/10
Hellboy is just fine as it is, that’s the original movie, by the way. I saw no reason (and still do not) to make a new one. I love the whole story of Hellboy and the universe he lives in, so why not just carry on from the first few flicks based on it? We’ll never know. Oh way, I know, ego. It seems that some filmmakers think they can always do something better than someone else did it, and I hate to break it to them, they didn’t.
Don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy this movie a lot. Like I said, I like the Hellboy character and the whole story of who he is, how he came about, all the other potential “super heroes” that come along with him. I also always like a good secret organization, and for the record, this movie has more than one:) This movie did a lot of what it did very well, and I appreciate the effort. This movie also had a high percentage of lackluster that rivals my own motivation to wake up in the mornings…that is not a compliment. Here’s a bullet list for ya:
- Villains: SHE is cool, but there are too many others and they are not scary enough.
- Good Guys: Mixed bag of awesome and blah.
- Special Effects: Great and terrible. Hellboy is Great. Giants are terrible, sadly.
- Story: Interesting but then there are the guys on the horses? (makes stink face)
I’m not in love with Swearengen from Deadwood, like Mr. Ascully is:) So, he doesn’t do much for me. I’m not impressed with the father figure of my Hellboy being this guy to begin with, and then he gets turned into a super crappy special effect, which did not help. Refer back to the bullet list for my opinion on special effects. I know that my beloved first Hellboy movies are not perfect, that’s fair, but it’s 2019, and things have not been improved by the team who made this movie.
Would I watch it again? Of course, it’s Hellboy. I like the guy. He’s grouchy and difficult, but he’s got a good heart under all the makeup:)
- Tales Of The Wild Hunt: Hellboy Reborn (77 Minutes) – A very deep three part featurette that takes you through every aspect of the making of this movie. There is even a discussion on how they rebooted the original.
- Deleted Scenes (8 Minutes) – Several deleted scenes that were cut for various plot reasons.
- Previsualization (8 Minutes) – Basic computer storyboards for key sequences.
- 4KUHD, Blu-ray & Digital Copy
Audio & Video: 9/10
Hellboy’s Dolby Atmos mix is quite loud and adds quite a bit of excitement to a lackluster film. Panning effects are used a lot including overhead panning effects during the fight with the giants that make the sound-stage feel way bigger than it is. Dialog is clean crisp and central and dynamic range is very wide.
The 4K UHD disc contains a 2160P transfer in a 2.40:1 aspect ratio. I dont think 4k does this movie any favors though, some of the CG looks worse for the uptick in detail and I found the Blu-ray version more pleasing to the eye. Shadow detail is great and HDR is used sparingly but effectively. This is a great looking 4K disc that perhaps is too good looking.
Overall Score /10