The Movie: 3/10
I want to like it sooooo bad. I don’t. Monster movies have been on my favorite list since I cozied up to our old console TV back in the 70’s and watched King Kong with The Dude and Jessica Lange. Yes, she was too sexualized and too coy for her own good, but when I was 10 it was all about Kong in the oil tanker and breaking out of that cage, his hand holding her under that waterfall. Good stuff! Confirmed, I LOVE monster movies. I have enjoyed some of the newer Godzilla movies, but really have fun with the original wave of them starting in the 50’s. I would watch any of those rather than this latest incarnation anytime.
The monsters, multiple, would have looked awesome if someone in control of the color grading and overall editing of the movie had got their head out of their own backside and did it for an audience, not for their own vision. I’ll only say this once folks, this movie is TOO DARK and there is too much crap all over the big action sequences making them all muddied up and not living up to their potential. There, that’s that.
The characters are boring, that’s the human characters. The cast is so good in other projects, and yet as I watched I was feeling like maybe I was being a downer because they all were so not good in this. Vera! I LOVE Vera! I need a palette cleanser. I’ll need to find something she was in that made me go WOW.
Sorry 11, this is not a good movie debut. I’m anxious to see your next one.
Everyone else, please don’t be offended, I am just one big mouthed middle aged woman who talks and writes about the movies I watch, but honestly, I don’t remember you individually So, there ya go.
People talk about how the big fight scenes look really good. They do not. I would watch any Transformer movie, well the parts that have big robots fighting in broad daylight, over and over and over before I would watch any of this movie again.
I am struggling to find something good to say. I won’t lie though, when there was 45 minutes left I said out loud, “45 more minutes?!” You should know I’m a lifelong movie lover. I would defend Return of the Living Dead from 1985 in any movie lovers’ discussion right along side any other film someone would want to pit against it, so I’m really not a movie snob at all. I just know when I am not entertained, not inspired, not enthralled, not engaged, not interested, and I would rather be outside pulling weeds in my yard then watching a particular movie. Yes, the thought crossed my mind.
Therefore, conclusion, overall, watch it for yourself. Always watch movies other people criticize because it might be your favorite movie ever. If you are a nerdy fan of old Godzilla movies you will be happily distracted by a lot of references that are not going to be recognized by other folks, so there ya go, a reason to hunker down and GO GO Godzilla!
- Monsters 101 (6 Minutes) – A multi part featurette that takes a look at the monsters used in the film.
- Evolution Of The Titans (27 Minutes) – Visual Effects and CGi are covered in more detail here.
- Monarch In Action (32 Minutes) – A five-part look at the different locations used in the film.
- Millie Bobby Brown: Force Of Nature (4 Minutes) – Everything you wanted to know about Millie Bobby Brown but were afraid to ask.
- Monster Tech: Monarch Joins The Fight (9 Minutes) – A look at the military technology on show.
- Monsters Are Real (15 Minutes) – A piece that tries to to bridge reality with the movies lore.
- Welcome To The Monster verse (4 Minutes) – A look at the other two movies in the series.
- Deleted & Extended Scenes (5 Minutes) – Rough cuts of some of the deleted scenes.
- Theatrical Trailers (12 Minutes)
- Audio Commentary – Michael Dougherty, Zack Shields and O’Shea Jackson take us through some of the though process behind the film.
- 4KUHD, Blu-ray & Digital Copy
Audio & Video: 7/10
I have to say the 4K transfer here is very dark, so dark that we had to turn the brightness up on our player which has no difficulties with other discs. There was also some banding and compression issues in certain scenes which in 2019 are inexcusable. Aside from that the image is sharp and colorful but those dissapointed with the first film in this franchise and its darkness will be shouting at the screen here.
The default Dolby Atmos track is much more impressive than the picture. With LOUD bass and really crisp dialog in the center speaker. There are tons of moments when the action sounds like it;s above you which is what Dolby Atmos was made for.
Overall Score 3/10