The Movie: 7/10
The stories that keep on giving, that’s the theme of my generation when it comes to movies:) Rocky, he taught us about working hard to overcome our challenges back in the 70’s when we were young tender minds. He went on to do it in the 80’s through our teenage years. He then popped in a couple times through our adult years….and then he passed it over to the son of Apollo Creed, and now again. I’m not knocking it. I enjoy the saga and with the new , not FIRST, blood (see what I did there:)). The thing is, I also realize I am being told the same story, over and over, and for some reason I still like.
I will establish that I go into this with a bias, I like Rocky movies. I’m not IN LOVE with them and I’m not hard core like a lot of people, but I do think it’s been a well told story of one fictional man, and Creed II is a continuation of how he and his life has impacted another person, not just the Creed family, but also our friends from Russia…ohhhh yes, he’s back! I like that we are pitting the sons of the rival fathers against each other. It might seem cheesy and predictable, and maybe that’s why I like it. A story about men punching each other in the face isn’t really that compelling, but they have given us enough people and their relationships to care about, so some boxing drama is an added bonus.
I like the cast. Everyone is “in it”, which is hard to explain, but I think you know what I mean. There is a bit of wooden style p. The music is fine, if not a bit heavy handed. The look of the movie, the sets, the camera work, even the glitzy boxing matches, is high quality. What do I mean by THAT? Well, it’s hard to explain, but it doesn’t feel cheap. How’s that? 🙂
What is the bottom line with Creed II? For me it’s the continuation of a story I have been watching for most of my life and I really did enjoy it. I will say this, however, I think I’m done. I mean, if they do more Creed/Rocky movies I might tap out…you know, tag team, oh wait, that’s wrestling. That’s a whole other thing
- Deleted Scenes (10 Minutes) –A bunch of deleted scenes that were trimmed from the final movie. For diehards only as the quality is not amazing on some of them.
- Fathers And Sons (7 Minutes) – A look at the main theme that runs through Creed II. This features lots of interviews with the cast and crew.
- Casting Viktor Drago (6 Minutes) – Florian Munteanu is explored in detail here. He might not say much in the movie but he really opens up here.
- The Women Of Creed II (6 Minutes) – Phylicia Rashad and Tessa Thompson talk about research into real boxers wives that went into crafting these characters.
- Rocky’s Legacy (15 Minutes) – Hosted by Dolph Lundgren this featurette takes a look at the whole franchise with plenty of clips from the older movies.
- 4KUHD, Blu-ray & Digital Copy
Audio & Video: 9/10
Creed II comes to 4K courtesy of Warner and an acceptable transfer that won’t blow you away. Most of the issues here are the gloomy look the film has and the grain free image that makes the film look like it was shot on video. The fights look really green-screeny because of this and it really took me out of the fights most of the time. I saw some banding around the 60 minute mark on the locker room walls which was unexpected. On the positive side the HDR looks great here and hides some of the obvious CGI backgrounds.
Amazing is all I can say for the audio here. A Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD Master audio track are included and you need to switch to the Atmos track manually. The Atmos track is the one you should choose here as its light years ahead of the DTS mix. Either way though Creed II sounds like a champion.
Overall Score 7/10