Listen To The After The Show Podcast Here
The Movie: 8/10
(sits eyes wide open and staring straight ahead with “Shi****t!!” still coming from my lips after THAT scene, you know the one) Snapping out of it now. (get it, SNAPPING out of it..haha oh, MARVELous humor).
OK, so time to get on with the end of this story, finally! Don’t get me wrong, I have enjoyed the whole Marvel story through the 128 movies they’ve made in the….oh, it was only 23? 22? Does it matter, a lot of friggin’ movies. I decided it’s just a big fancy TV show, like one big season that has lasted 12 years. I’m good with that.
I really do not think you need a review of any of these movies. I’m not at technical person so I can say the special effects are cool, even if they get a big wonky in the bigger battles, but I won’t pick them apart pixel by pixel. I can say the story is cool, but I don’t read the comics and I don’t explore any other aspects of this Marvel Universe so I just go by what I see in this series and I like it. I have enjoyed all the characters. I enjoyed the snap. I enjoyed THAT scene in End Game, you know the one….swish Thor’s ax does the deed.
I should say I’m a Science Fiction fan, so that’s what all this is to me, space, time, sciency stuff, with drama and comedy and threats to the entirety of all life in the universe…good stuff. I can get over any flaws, and yes Mr. Ascully, there are flaws. He’s a bit overly fond of the Marvel Universe. In fact, he has said it rivals is love of Star Wars!! I thought about a probe to see if some aliens had replaced my husband with some other creature who really doesn’t know how much he LOVES Star Wars, but I have to trust that he’s a grown man and can have two favorite movie franchises:)
There’s too much stuff in this movie to really break it down. It’s just huge and entertaining and satisfying and I care about all the people and heroes, everyone except for humanity for some reason, but that’s something I need to just deal with on a personal level.
If you have seen all the movies, watch this one. If you have not, watch them and then watch this one. If you don’t like that assessment, you will understand once you go and do what I say.
I would watch this again, and I’m sure at some point we will have a Marvel Marathon on a long winter weekend one of these days. I’m down with that.
- Intro By Directors Anthony & Joe Russo (3 Minutes) –Do not watch this unless you have already seen the movie, you have been warned.
- Audio Commentary By Directors And Writers
- Remembering Stan Lee (7 Minutes) – Since Stan Lee’s passing the Marvel family has felt empty, here we take a look at his role in the MCU through a compilation of his cameos.
- Setting The Tone: Casting Robert Downey Jr (5 Minutes) – A look at Mr Tony Stark’s involvement in the series of movies as they come to a close.
- A Man Out Of Time: Creating Captain America (12 Minutes) – A look at Steve Rogers the flag pole that holds the entire MCU up high. Chris Evans takes us through his journey and where Cap ends up at the end of this film.
- Black Widow: Whatever It Takes (7 Minutes) – Scarlett Johansson walks us through her role in the MCU, she has a standalone movie coming next year.
- The Russo Brothers: Journey To Endgame (5 Minutes) – A look at the brothers journey to Endgame.
- The Women Of The MCU (5 Minutes) – One of the end scenes tributes the women of Marvel, here we see how that came to be.
- Bro Thor (4 Minutes) – A short look at beer gut Thor, which is hilarious.
- Deleted Scenes (5 Minutes) – Six deleted scenes that super-fans will lap up.
- Gag Reel (2 Minutes) – Cast and crew have fun on the set.
- 4KUHD, Blu-ray & Digital Copy
Audio & Video: 9/10
Shot digitally in 6K Avengers Endgame comes to 4K with a superb looking transfer that is easily one of the years best. HDR is used to enhance explosions and super heroes costumes. The 1080P version also included is also very very good. You can’t lose with this set.
If you want the Dolby Atmos track you need to insert the UHD disc as its missing from the regular blu-ray. This track is very very loud so make sure you adjust your volume accordingly. Surround and overhead sound is fantastic especially during the final showdown. Dialog delivery is perfectly central and always easy to understand this is a home theater showcase that is a must for any super hero fan.
Overall Score 8/10