Ash Vs Evil Dead Season 2 Out Now From Starz
The Show: 9/10
The Second Season of Ash Vs Evil Dead starts right where season one ended with Ash and friends headed to Johnsonville oblivious of what is following them. Ash (Bruce Campbell) starts the show getting drunk with a bunch of friends after making a deal with Ruby (Lucy Lawless) to keep the Deadites away from him as he’s tired of fighting and in his words “getting too old for this shit”. Obviously, things don’t stay this way and after another gruesome encounter with the Evil Dead, Ash is on his way to his old hometown of Elk Grove where everyone thinks he’s a mass murderer after they heard about the events of the first film. It’s here he meets his father played by Lee Majors and things really take a dark turn.
Season two is a powerhouse that never holds back, Blood, Gore, Comedy and foul language are used in equal measure to bring a hardcore Evil Dead experience to the small screen. The show makes use of all manner of practical effects to produce scenes that while funny skirt the line of good taste. Gore addicts and Evil Dead fans won’t be disappointed as the show revisits the first and second movies and even dedicates a full episode to Ted Rami’s Oldsmobile as it goes on a killer rampage.
This season moves around locations quite a bit, visiting Ash’s hometown, an old morgue, the famous cabin and a mental asylum. It keeps things interesting throughout and never gets stale. I was frightened that 30-minute episodes were not going to be long enough to tell the Evil Dead story but the short run-time actually works to better the show with a tighter narrative and way less downtime.
Ash Vs Evil Dead is a superb show that I am glad Starz took a risk on. With Season 3 filmed and in the can but no release date announced here’s hoping its sooner rather than later. For now, though this Blu-ray set will keep you going until season 3 whenever that is. Evil Dead fans should not miss this amazing show. Highly recommended!!!
- Season 2 First Look (2 Minutes) – A quick look at where the season will take you.
- Inside The World Of Ash Vs Evil Dead – Quick recaps of each episode, probably shown on Starz originally to promote the show.
- Up Your Ash (2 Minutes) – A look at the morgue episode where Ash finds himself up a deadites butt.
- Women Who Kick Ash Puppets Are Cute (2 Minutes) – A look at the ladies of the show. Kelly, Ruby and Linda B.
- Dawn Of The Spawn (1 Minute) – Exploring the new spawn enemy.
- Bringing Henrietta Back (2 Minutes) – Bringing back Ted Rami’s famous Henrietta.
- The Delta (2 Minutes) – A look at the car that is central to the whole Evil Dead mythos.
- How-To Kill A Deadite (2 Minutes) –Cast and crew discuss the disgusting special effects and makeup used in the second season.
- Fatality Mash Up (1 Minute) – Lots of kills in rapid succession.
- Audio Commentaries – Audio Commentaries on 3 of the episodes with Bruce Campbell, Lucy Lawless, Dana DeLorenzo and Ray Santiago.
Cover Art and Menus: 7/10
Menus are pretty standard and the cover art is all kinds of Patriotic. Ash is the hero we need in these dark times.
Audio & Video: 9/10
The 1080P transfer here looks a great way better than the compressed version that aired on Starz. The show is filmed digitally and never lacks color or detail. Plenty of the episodes are very dark and dimly lit but this never holds the show back from looking pristine in this format.
Audio is a big step-up from the original Starz airing with a full Dolby TrueHD 7.1 lossless soundtrack encoded on the disc. The dialog is clean even during chainsaw hacking moments. And the directional sound is obviously the show’s forte. Listen to any of the battle scenes with Ash on a decent surround system and you will hear things that you missed during the TV airing.
Overall Score 8/10